A Non-Metallic Solution Enabled a Faster, Easier Installation.
THE BIG PICTURE
2,000 of Each
APP ProTek Pipe Shoes and ProTek Wear Pads Delivered
Eliminated from Original Two-Month Installation Timeline
Required—And Significant Installation Costs Saved
|PRODUCT||APP ProTek Wear Pads and ProTek Pipe Shoes|
- Kinder Morgan Bostco is a storage facility on the Houston Ship Channel designed to support the storage and transport of black oil.
- The facility provides high-speed loading and improved barge and ship access to the Texas Gulf Coast for the export and import of various refined products.
- APP was selected to supply all composite wear pads and pipe shoes for uninsulated lines on this $500 million project.
KINDER MORGAN’S STORAGE FACILITY NEEDED A FAST, COST-EFFICIENT INSTALLATION.
Kinder Morgan’s Bostco storage facility was slated to hold 51 tanks of residual fuel, feedstocks, distillates, and other black oils, plus six tanks of other distillate products. The 57 tanks were to house a total of 6.5 million barrels of fuel. The problem? Sea air and salt water—that adds up to corrosion. The original engineering company’s approach to avoiding corrosion involved a metallic pipe shoe and a round bar welded to the beam, which was creating unnecessary expense during installation—and inviting future worries around the possibility of the shoe impinging necessary system movement, creating unsafe conditions for personnel and lasting piping system damage. The timeline for new pipe shoe delivery and installation? Two months.
THE APP ANSWER
APP delivered 2,000 ProTek Pipe Shoes and 2,000 ProTek Wear Pads to be installed on-site, requiring zero welding (and zero round bars). The composite APP pipe shoes helped Kinder Morgan avoid the corrosion and binding issues around metallic pipe shoes and offered a quicker, easier installation. They were also delivered within a two week timeframe— six weeks shorter than the project’s estimated twomonth window for pipe shoe installation. APP:
- Performed all installation training with Kinder Morgan employees and contractors.
- Executed testing to demonstrate compatibility of APP ProTek Pipe Shoe with current solution.
- Significantly shortened timeline on pipe shoe and wear pad delivery and installation.